Getting Started - Steps to Studying Abroad
The application deadline for 2022-2023 academic year and semester programs has been extended to
Monday, 15 November. Applications will close at 11:59 PM
STEP 1: URGENT, TAKE NOTICE: If you do not currently have a passport, you need to apply for one NOW. Owing to COVID-19, there are long delays in receiving your passport, currently 12-18 weeks. If you are applying for a new passport, you will need to make an appointment in person at a passport processing center. Do NOT procrastinate – even if you aren’t 100% certain you're going to study abroad you need to apply NOW to put yourself in a position to go. You must renew your passport if it will expire before December of your senior year. You may renew by mail but expect to experience delays. Valid passport scans are due to be uploaded to your Holy Cross Study Abroad online application by Friday, 4 February, 2022. For passport information, visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html
STEP 2: Attend the Virtual Study Abroad General Information Session on Tuesday, 7 September at 6:00 PM via Zoom: https://holycross.zoom.us/j/97815069502
- Research available programs: Go to https://sa.holycross.edu and click on Program Search in the left-hand navigation column.
- Attend country-specific information sessions scheduled throughout September and October.
- Make an appointment to speak with the Study Abroad Director of the program or programs that interest you. The director’s name and contact information is located at the bottom of the brochure page for each program in the online application portal. You can make an appointment via the online appointment system by clicking on the Meet our Staff/Contact Info tab on the left-side navigation column at https://sa.holycross.edu.
- Interested in studying in a foreign language country? You will need to make an appointment with your language professor and have him/her sign the Certification of Advising with Language Faculty (CALF) form which your language faculty advisor will submit to Study Abroad before the application deadline of Friday, November 5, 2021.
- Decide on your first choice program (you may select an alternate/backup program) based on your interests, academic goals, and eligibility.
STEP 4: Meet with a Study Abroad Ambassador. A number of students who have returned from studying abroad last year have volunteered to be Study Abroad Ambassadors. Get in touch with these ambassadors and take advantage of their experience!
STEP 5: Talk to your academic advisor before making a program choice. Consult with your major, minor or concentration advisor and the study abroad advisor for your major.
STEP 6: Complete your application essay. Work with your advisor and a Study Abroad director to develop your goals and priorities for your coursework, co- and extra-curricular activities abroad. The course choices, as well as your goals, will comprise your application essay for your first choice program.
STEP 7: Submit your online application: Once you have determined your program choice, go to https://sa.holycross.edu to apply. The Apply Now link is available on every program brochure page as well as under the Application Procedure tab on the left-side navigation column. You are applying for ONE program only - you have the option of selecting an alternate/backup program, but please, one application only. If you would like to apply to two different semester programs (one in the fall and one in the spring), you may open two applications, one in each term.
Applications for all academic year and semester programs open on Friday, 10 September 2021
and close on Friday, 5 November 2021
Office of Study Abroad, Smith Hall 216 / (508) 793-3082 / Fax (508) 793-3676 / email: email@example.com
Follow Study Abroad on: